10 April 2010

SilverStripe: Install Using WebPI. For Alternative Only.

SilverStripe. First time I read this word that refer to The Fourth of TOP Free CMS after Drupal, I thought about "what is it", "how to use", "is it likeable", "is it difficult", "did SilverStripe has enough modules for my project", "do I need a code skill like other proffesional IT", and "how to install" is the most important question in my mind. Well, you may need to know about this one: I am a newbie or beginner in this area.
According to Wikipedia, they describe a CMS as follows:

A Web Content Management System (WCM, WCMS or Web CMS) is content management system (CMS) software, implemented as a Web application, for creating and managing HTML content. It is used to manage and control a large, dynamic collection of Web material (HTML documents and their associated images). A WCMS facilitates content creation, content control, editing, and essential Web maintenance functions.
So take a moment and look the introduction of this CMS. SilverStripe CMS is a flexible open source Content Management System that gives everyone involved in a web project the tools I need to do my jobs. The templating language integrates with the database content, leaving me free to focus on my CSS/HTML. With using Sapphire as a framework for developer that helps me build powerfull website. What is Sapphire? Sapphire is an object-oriented PHP5 web framework designed to let me focus on my data and business logic, and to build standalone applications or extend my SilverStripe CMS-powered site.



If you want to install SilverStripe on your computer, I have two options for you:
  1. Using WAMP,
  2. Web Platform Installer (WebPI). You can try this.
  3. Using XAMPP (this is my hidden option. Optional.)
Why did I write WebPI, not WAMP or XAMPP? Because this is the new thing? Yes. I am a newbie, remember? And this will be much easier than installing using WAMP plus other reasons are:
  1. WebPI can automatically downloads, installs, and configures Microsoft IIS, PHP (without his old friends: Apache Server and MySQL) and SilverStripe.
  2. WebPI works on Windows XP (or higher) and Windows Server 2003 (or higher). The installation has a simple wizard process.
  3. SilverStripe has solved the two most commonly listed Windows installation problems: getting a URL Rewriter to work, and setting up the correct file permissions (for installation and to facilitate file uploads in the system).
Are you sure this is not good enough?
Okay. Let’s start the WebPI installation.
Unfortunatelly, WebPI does not install MySQL so you must install this first. But thank’s to Microsoft, this is an easy process to download MySQL 'Windows Essentials' Version and if you need, Microsoft has a simply guide when installing, and WebPI can automatically configure Microsoft SQL Server to support but will become optional in the future, again when installing.
Next, download and install the Microsoft Windows Platform Installer. I mean WebPI. If you have WebPI installed, then this same link will launch WebPI and select SilverStripe to install.
The last step, just install SilverStripe using WebPI: select Web Applications, select Content Management, and choose SilverStripe CMS. Then do the configuration. See my NOTE.
*NOTE: For the first time, fill the blank text box of the database server with “root”, and keep it blank for the password text box. WebPI then only asks a few simple questions, such as:
  1. Whether you want SilverStripe installed as your entire website or in a sub-folder
  2. The existing username and password to access your MySQL database
  3. A new username and password to be used as your initial SilverStripe CMS administrator account
And… DONE! (Yee-HA)

0 Hot Shots: